Thursday 4 March 2010

Progress Post: Guildie

So... I joined a guild. They are a casual raiding guild who are into ICC-10, and they are very friendly so far.  All I've done with them so far is a weekly raid quest in Naxx, a visit to Malygos and a few heroics, but I think 10-man guilds are probably more difficult to get a progression spot with.  Plus my gear is still not brilliant so we'll see how it goes once I upgrade a few things.

That's not the point of this post though! The blogosphere has been chatting about Guild vs Blog issues this week, with Tamarind posting about having to leave his guild over comments he made on his blog (along with other reasons), and Anea, Larísa, Matticus and Ophelie sharing their views on the subject among others.

I decided not to mention my blog (or "showcase" it, as Matticus puts it) in my guild application, as I wanted to be accepted on my own merit. I didn't want to label myself as a Blogger.  At the end of the day, I'm just a noob healer in some welfare epics, and I'd rather prove myself to them by healing well than just saying, "Look at all the stuff I know about!"

I may mention it to them if the subject somehow comes up in conversation, but really I'd like to avoid what we call "Tall Poppy Syndrome", or the act of making oneself stand out from the crowd, and thus the subject of ridicule. We're not much up for self-promotion in Australia I'm afraid.

I haven't been blogging long enough yet to really know whether I will post about frustrating and guild-related stuff here, but I'm planning on keeping it lighthearted so if my new guildies do find this place, there shouldn't be anything here for them to get upset about.

So, after a few nights in my new guild, I decided to label myself as a Blogger, went and rolled a Paladin on Argent Dawn-US and joined <Single Abstract Noun>. If you want to know more about that, go and read this post by Miss Medicina and this other one by Tamarind.

Okay, I admit it, I'm an altoholic!

blog comments powered by Disqus