Sunday 21 March 2010

A Travel Album

This post was inspired by Windsoar, acting as the Blogging Muse on the occasion of her 6 month blogaversary!
/cast Muse
Hello my twiggy friend, I notice that you have many an alt, and make some beautiful wallpapers as you travel.
What are your favorite places to visit?
This is actually quite a tricky question, and sent me on a wild goose-chase hunting through all my screenshots and poring over the Azeroth map, but I think I've narrowed it down a bit!

I love to take screenshots, just as I like to take photos in real life. Life can get very monotonous if you just continue on the daily grind, but if you really stop to look every now and then, you will find amazing things in the most common places.

It's the same with the World of Warcraft.  There has been amazing detail lovingly put into the game, and the incredible thing is that unlike the real world, it didn't just grow there naturally - every single thing was put there into the game by an artist and developer. This makes me feel like I need to share everything I see!

WoW isn't the first game to be visually beautiful. I played a lot of Morrowind and Oblivion back when they were new, and I used to just ride around and around looking at the scenery and getting annoyed when those demon gate things would show up to interrupt my tourism.

A lot of my screenshots these days are from the addon Multishot, which snaps a pic when I get achievements, but you can still find me stopping in the road to line up a pic like a true tourist.

I love sharing my screenies with you but unfortunately at the moment my blog theme doesn't allow very big images on the main page - I'll have to leave them small, so click them if you'd like a closer look.

Thousand Needles

The Blizz artistic magicians do a good green foresty zone, but for visual impact you can't beat Thousand Needles.  Day or night, the zone is visually stunning with the rock pillars casting long shadows and the light shining off the surfaces. 

There are other Old World areas I love to visit such as Ferelas, Winterspring, Ungoro Crater and the Hinterlands, but some really amazing scenery is to be found in the expansions...

Zangarmarsh
You might have seen this image before - there's a wallpaper version of it here. I'm not much of a fan of Hellfire Peninsula and rush through it as quickly as possible to get to the utter awesome that is the huge blue mushroom forest of Zangarmarsh.

Underbog is probably my favourite outland instance apart from the Botanica.  Don't ask me why, I just always enjoyed doing it :)

Nagrand
Nagrand is a beautiful zone, completely with floating rocks and waterfalls.  Don't tell me you didn't immediately think of Nagrand while watching Avatar! The sunsets here are really special.

Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra
My favourite places to be these days are definately in Northrend. The immensity of the Fjord itself is something that definately gives the Alliance a picturesque spot for Valgarde.


The northern lights in Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord are really beautiful, and the real-life version is something that has fascinated me for years and I'd love to visit someday.

Dragonblight
My favourite wallpaper - I even had it on my work computer for a while until people kept come up and asking me "Where's that? It's beautiful!" and I had to exaplain that it was from a game.

Grizzly Hills
A lot of what attracts me to Grizzy Hills is the music that plays there. It's very peaceful, especially if you are near running water. I look forward to being able to fish in Northrend so that I can go chill out there.

Sholazar Basin
Another beautiful place and this time it has the added bonus of a completely gorgeous quest line for the Frenzyheart vs Oracles. I absolutely love doing this zone on every character, but I don't go back to visit it much as it's so far away.

Randoms
So there you have it. A collection of some of the most beautiful places in the game.

I'll leave you with a few random shots I've picked up along the way.
Ever seen the Rocket Chicken of Booty Bay?

The Kvaldir ghosts on the beach in Borean Tundra turn into seaweed and starfish when they die.

The All-You-Can-Scoff Buffet at the Filthy Animal in Dalaran is awesome!

Can he swing from a web?  No he can't, he's a pig.

Enjoy the scenery!
blog comments powered by Disqus