Friday 2 July 2010

About Cataclysm Spoilers


The Cataclysm Beta has started, and some bloggers have their invitations already. I have not opted into the Beta, and I don't plan to either.

I just wanted to assure you all that I will not be posting any visual or plot spoilers before the release of Cataclysm.  I do plan to talk about Druid mechanic changes when they become available, but I'll mark those posts clearly as containing Cataclysm info so you can choose to read them or not.

There are a few reasons why I will be attempting to avoid visual and plot spoilers:

  • The Cata release is likely to be at least three months away
  • I'm not finished with WotLK yet
  • I would like my new expansion experiences to be as fresh and unspoiled as possible.

The Cataclysm release is likely to be at least three months away
I understand that many people have been doing the same stuff for so long that they are desperate for something new, but the beta has only just started. The Beta for Wrath of the Lich King started in mid-July, 2008, and the full expansion was not released until November of that year - I think we can reasonably expect a similar release schedule for Cataclysm.  In fact my money is on that one week in November when we are going away on holidays. It happened last time as well...

I'm not finished with WotLK yet
I have only been playing this expansion for a year. I took a big break in the middle and missed out on a lot of things, so there are still plenty of things to see and do and achieve and explore and so on. I'm focusing on getting those things done before I look at anything coming up in the expansion.

I would like my new expansion experiences to be as fresh and unspoiled as possible
World of Warcraft is a beautiful game, and the stories within it fill us with joy, fear, revulsion or awe.  The new "old" world promises to be even more amazing and awe-inspiring. Places that we have explored and quested in for five years will be changed irrevocably, and I am hoping to be able to explore those places with a similar wide-eyed wonder that I first explored them in, several years ago.

I realise that over the next few months screenshots and plot spoilers are going to be absolutely everywhere, but I would ask bloggers, twitterers and other information-dispersers to please mark Beta information clearly as a spoiler, so that those who like our experiences fresh and new can try to resist as long as possible.  

Thanks!
blog comments powered by Disqus