Monday 12 July 2010

Stormcrow


This weekend I finally had the opportunity to complete the quest chain that I think every druid should do at some stage - the chain to achieve [Swift Flight Form].

Back in early Burning Crusade times, Druids had to complete this quest chain in order to get their Swift Flight Form. Sometime during BC it was made available to learn from a Druid trainer at level 70, removing the need to do the chain at all. When achievements were introduced, completing the chain was rewarded with a Feat of Strength.

I managed to save up the gold for Leesah's Artisan Riding (I already bought it for my mage a little while ago, /guilt), and rather than head to the trainer to learn Swift Flight Form, I decided to do the quest line.

Incidentally, I just discovered before publishing this post that if I had trained Artisan Flying at Thrallmar or in Warsong Hold, I would have got a reputation discount for being Revered with Orgrimmar, bringing it down to 4250g, rather than the 5000g I paid. Apparently this goes for Alliance players with Stormwind rep - train at Honor Hold or Valiance Keep.  So a tip for young players:  Don't train flying skill in Dalaran!

You must have Artisan Riding before you can get the first quest. The chain starts at any Druid trainer, with the trainer sending you to Cenarion Refuge in Zangarmarsh to speak to Morthis Whisperwing.


I'm not going to give any of the story away but it involves travel all over the mid-level areas of Outlands and other areas such as Moonglade. It contains some epic Druid lore and a great storyline.

The chain culminates in summoning the Raven Lord, Anzu from the Emerald Dream, then killing him.  Anzu is an optional boss in Sethekk Halls, who can only be summoned on Heroic mode and with a Druid in the party who has the Essence-Infused Moonstone.

To get into Heroic Sethekk Halls, you must have honoured reputation with Lower City so that you can buy the key. If you're a BC druid you probably already have it, but it took me a while to solo normal Sethekk Halls a few times until I was honoured.


Once I had the heroic key, I invited a few guildies to come along, and we made short work of Anzu. He is summoned from the room just before the final boss. I remember doing this fight once for a guildy way back during BC - we didn't have any decent aoe classes with us at the time (this is before the days of Mind Sear when Spriests were kind of useless against groups) so I remember wiping horribly on the birds that spawn during the fight.

I believe it can be solo'd at level 80 these days.  I may try sometime just for a laugh, but as a Moonkin I'm not that great at taking the hits. It's not hard to find people to join in though, as there is a chance the mount might drop - [Reins of the Raven Lord] - one of the prettiest land mounts available!


blog comments powered by Disqus